Sluggish? Drained? Lethargic?
Could your energy levels use a permanent boost?
Do you feel like you are running on empty, kept awake only by Coffee?
If the answer to the above is YES, this article is written for you.
In this article we are going to access your current energy levels using a quick and simple exercise and afterwards, create an action plan for increasing your energy in an effective and lasting way. Sound good?
Before though, why is ensuring we have high energy important?
Our energy levels effect EVERY area of our lives: from our relationships, our health, to our Careers. Our state determines our thoughts, feelings and actions. When we're tired, we're more likely to snap at others, complain and delay taking actions. On the other hand, when we're full of energy, the world is an entirely different place, we are happy and sh*t gets done!
We all know People who always seem to have infinite amounts of Energy. They look awake and energized, no matter what time of the day. Their energy captivates those around them.
What if you could be that type of person? Trick question... You can.
There are no secrets. There are practical steps that we can all take to be High Energy people.
So, now lets access your energy levels.
The Energy Bucket
The energy bucket is a great exercise that I pinched from the book Simplify by Bill Hybels. (Recommended Read).
1. Draw a Bucket on a piece of Paper.
2. Mark a line going across the Bucket at the point where you feel your energy levels are currently. A full bucket means High energy, an empty buckets means you are empty. What percentage of the bucket is full, right now?
3. Craft a Custom replenishment plan by considering the following questions.
What activities and people fill you up when your energy is running low?
What brings you joy?
When do you have the deepest sense of pleasure in your life?
View each of these energy giving activities as Streams to which you can turn to when you need to increase your energy levels.
Your Streams will be personal to you. For example, an activity that really energizes me is listening to Live music with friends. The atmosphere, the energy, the buzz, stays with me for a few days afterwards.
Additional to your Custom Replenishment plan, below are some common Energy giving activities which you can also consider.
- Ensuring adequate Hydration (3L per day). Our bodies and brains need plenty of water to function properly. If you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.
- Exercise. Even a short 20 minutes walk daily will increase energy levels.
- Sunshine. Getting outside in the Sun as often as possible. N/A if you live in Britain...
- Power Napping. One of my favorites as an avid Napper. 20 minutes is Ideal.
- Nutrition. Sugar and Coffee seem like short term fixes but they will cause your energy levels to crash shortly after.
Over to you, integrate each of the streams over time. Pick one for now, at least one to complete by the end of the week and one by the end of the month. Play around, see what works for you. Some strategies will fit in well with your lifestyle, others may not. Experiment. Be like a Scientist.
If you enjoyed this and want more inspiration & tools to think better, feel better, and live better - then here is what you can do right now...
1. Visit the shop & download an E book version of my book, Becoming Unstuck: your simple step by step guide to taking charge of your life, by clicking here
(Hint: Use Coupon code BLOG to save 50% off my book and all other products).
Want to be the first to know when a new blog piece is published?
Then enter your Email address below to receive an email notification as soon as a new blog piece goes live on the website!